Brunschwig & Fils
Brunschwig & Fils Fabrics, Wallpapers & Trims
From grand rooms in the White House and the Palace of Versailles to romantic country retreats in cottages and seaside homes, Brunschwig & Fils fabrics, wallcoverings and furnishings have appeared for more than a century in the world’s most beautiful and iconic interiors. Brunschwig & Fils is the canon of high quality decorative textiles in the home furnishings industry, and today its many other products include wallpaper, trimmings, upholstered furniture, tables and lighting.
The history of the company dates back to 1891, when it was founded by Achille Brunschwig. In 1925 Roger Brunschwig, son of Achille, opened a New York office. Good design has been at the firm’s heart and soul from the beginning, and each generation acknowledges that French style – in décor, fashion, design, colour and the art of living – has been paramount for centuries. To translate this spirit for today’s taste, in America and around the world, is the ongoing mission of Brunschwig & Fils.
The latest collection from Brunschwig & Fils is Le Jardin Chinois, a celebration of the French fantasy of chinoiserie, inspired by many classic patterns in the extensive Brunschwig archive.
In 1941 Roger Brunschwig went off to war and his wife, Zelina, took over the family business. Mrs. B, as she was affectionately called, was a woman of great style, sophistication and inventiveness. Mrs. B is credited with developing the brand and aesthetic of Brunschwig & Fils as we know it today and for introducing scheming into its marketing efforts. Her motto “Good Design Is Forever” still holds true today.
Mrs. B collected documentary textile designs found in American houses for years, and she was keen to make use of the great collection of European documentary patterns that her husband, Colonel Brunschwig, and his father, Achille, had collected and stored in France. It was arranged for these precious documents to be packed in map cases and sent to America for safekeeping during WW II. More than 10,000 documents are now preserved in the Brunschwig & Fils archive. The Brunschwig & Fils collection displays a constant recycling of past designs – updated and recoloured when necessary – illustrating the company’s motto that good design really is forever.
Brunschwig & Fils began to think about adding wallpaper to its line in 1959. Mrs B. and Murray Douglas knew that wallpaper could transform a room optically – by making it appear taller with up reaching vertical patterns, or by pushing the walls out with scenic effects, or by bringing the outdoors in with garden greenery and architectural details.
By 1964, wallpapers and borders became a regular part of the collection and another arm of the company. Brunschwig offers everything from traditional large scale patterns, trellis motifs, novelty patterns, toile de jour designs, to small scale prints, borders, tiny textured repeats, patterns and more.
Design aficionados have long known that trimmings serve an important purpose in a room, embellishing fabric, offering counterpoint, or adding just the right finishing touch. Brunschwig & Fils presented its first trimmings collection in 1967 to better serve its customers and to enhance the company’s fabric collections.
When Brunschwig added trimmings to its wares, it was to France, the most sophisticated source of passementerie, that it turned. Though some Brunschwig trimmings are manufactured in Italy, England or the United States, France is still its biggest supplier. Since the first Brunschwig trimmings were introduced, the collections have continued to grow tremendously.
At Fabric Gallery & Interiors we have supplied Brunschwig & Fils since the company was taken over by GP&J Baker in 2011. If you are interested in Brunschwig & Fils please do come and visit us at our Dunnington shop or contact us for samples.