What is reupholstery?
Reupholstery is the process of taking a worn out item of furniture and recovering it in new materials. Often internal repairs (e.g tightening joints) or replacing padding will be needed to restore the comfort of the chair or sofa. Re-upholstery may also involve replacing one type of covering with another (e.g. replacing leather with fabric)
Chairs, sofas, footstools, seat cushions and even to headboards can be reupholstered. We can also work on commercial projects such as restaurant and pub seating, particularly if you are looking for a style beyond a typical corporate appearance.
How much does it cost to re-upholster?
Re-upholstery is not cheap because a highly skilled upholsterer is working by hand on your furniture. And they will give it a finish even better than when it first left the factory. Factory made furniture can be cheaper than re-upholstery because it may be manufactured on a production line somewhere overseas using relatively low-cost mass-produced fabrics. But it will lack the individuality of a personal reupholstery service.
The cost for re-upholstery is made of two parts; the cost of the service and the price of new covering fabric. The former would be estimated by our upholsterer and the latter would be calculated based on the amount of fabric needed and its price. Together they would be the basis of our quote. For example a chair might need 6 metres of fabric and if you chose a fabric at £45/m the fabric would total £270. To this you might add £200 for the reupholstering. Sofas may need 12-16m of fabric depending on their size. In contrast occasional chairs can range from 4-9m. We quote prices individually on all jobs so you’ll not get any surprises.
Is it worthwhile re-upholstering my chair/sofa?
There are 5 reasons why you might wish to re-upholster your existing sofa or chair:
- firstly you already know that you like the feel of the furniture and that it must be comfortable otherwise you’d never have worn it out over the years,
- it might be an antique or a “one-off” item,
- you could save money, especially if you already have an expensive luxury item of furniture with an “everlasting” frame
- you have a much wider choice of coverings than you’ll find on any new factory-made item, and you can be much more adventurous in your choice and use of fabrics.
- finally you are helping the environment by reusing your furniture rather than throwing it away into landfill – an important step towards sustainability
Can I reupholster myself?
The answer might be yes if you have been fully trained, have years of experience and possess all the necessary tools. Otherwise please trust our expert upholsterer who will create a “new” item of furniture ready to grace your home.
That said, we have helped students learning upholstery skills create their first piece by sourcing suitable fabrics for their projects.
How do I get my furniture reupholstered?
Here at Fabric Gallery and Interiors we are pleased to offer an excellent re-upholstery service. Our upholsterer has over 25 years experience and is fully LTT leather trained.
We aim to make the whole process as simple as possible:
- visit our showroom to select new fabric for your furniture. Also you’ll get personal advice. (Ideally bring a photo & dimensions with you.)
- tell us about the furniture and email us a photo. That way our upholsterer can estimate the work involved.
- we’ll give you a FREE no-obligation quote.
When you decide to go ahead we’ll make all the arrangements with you. Of course we’ll provide the fabric of your choice for our upholsterer to work with.
Our service is personal and usually limited to the area around York because of the logistics of moving large items of furniture over greater distance.
The first thing to do is to visit our showroom. If you need help choosing fabric or coordinating it with the rest of your decor why not make an appointment with our Chief Designer in our Dunnington Showroom. You’ll be astonished how reupholstered furniture can transformation your home.